Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finnished...no wait...Now I'm finnished... NO ok ok I'm REALLY finnished this time!!

Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I think I'm done... I hate being done, I mean I like the end of work and all but isn't there that adage about a work of art never being finished, just abandoned?? Then again, if I can't accept my own work how am I ever going to persuade anyone else to??
So for my final solution I decided to develop the image of the polytrope. It's a delicate and attractive shape and I think it's an interesting way to represent the 5th dimension, which is pivotal to the book.


First of all I looked at combining it with the folded clock idea, I liked this one because first of all I think its a strong image and secondly the fold would help to explain the choice of shape to the reader if they were actually to read the book, which is a bonus.




 

The next idea I worked on was the development from a one dimesinonal line to the 5 dimesinonal poly trope. There are only two illustrated pages in the book and on the second illustrated page there is a drawing of a line, a square and a cube. I developed on this to include a hypercube and the polytrope. I also like this one! Particularly on the white background it reminds me of a poster you might see in a schools science lab, which is perfect for the tone of the book.


The idea that took me up to my final design was the combination of the polytrope and the clock. When I was trying to decide what to do next, John (who's second name I don't know - yet.) suggested that I just use a suggestion of the clock, just the hands say. THANK YOU JOHN!




So above are two different versions of my final design. I like the white one but the reason I chose the colour black was to show that a lot of the activity in the book is done "in the shadow of The Black Thing". Also the reason I chose blue is because I think its appropriate for the hopeful and scientific tone of the book (And its my favourite colour, David Carson said it's important for artists to have favourites. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
And there we have it! My baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment