Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm gonna throw a word at you - anti-contradiction.

From armour to headphones - Somebody might kill me for that kind of tangent leap (or they might love it, there is a problem with consistency here the likes of runny porridge), but I figure if I work like like a coked up dynamo I'll be too far ahead for them to stop me. Case in point, the guardian angel headphones:

Work in progress

The idea came from my brainstorm for urban armour, a guardian -> Guardian Angel, and as part of my research for one of the suits of armour I wanted to make, the technology suit, I came across all these modified headphones and mp3 players, really cool looking stuff that was just made by making casings for the original hardware. Sure enough I soon discovered my idea had already been realised: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/strange-wing-headphones

Still, I wanted to try make a pair myself, which is what I did this week! This seemingly harmless statement led to an ordeal involving the lowest grade paper clay available!! I know this now, I  did not know this when I was arm deep in the gunk. However an upgrade in materials, Fimo brand paper clay resulted in a much more pleasing outcome. As I type they are still air drying in my locker but I hope to have a picture of the finished product to post on Monday.


This is sadly similar to my actual handwriting...

So I spent this week thinking a lot about music and its given me an idea. We had a 3d tutorial earlier this week and part of it involved working with wire, so I'm thinking maybe I can do something with headphone cables. Today I tried out writing song lyrics in wire, the chorus of No time for tears by The Enemy "There's so time for tears when you live in the real world", it's one of my favourite songs and I think it captures some of the incessant nature of living in the city. I'd like to try make an animation, but that is going to be next weeks work!

No comments:

Post a Comment