Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Never mind eloquent, I want to be magniloquent.

On Friday I had an idea, on Sunday I bought the materials and yesterday I went and did it! What did I do? Well a major idea I want to get across with my project is just how powerful music is in terms of the way it makes you feel, good or bad (personally mainly good although Kleerup ft. Lykke Lis Until We Bleed is a capitol example of how a song can drag you into the depths of the deepest mope). Also I'm trying to give an illustration of what music looks like (just an illustration, not thee illustration because music looks different to everyone, some people might not even "see" it!).
So last week I finally got around to downloading the awe-inspiring live version of daft punks Harder Better Faster Stronger from their 2007 Alive tour, I do not have the words to describe the feeling when the base starts pounding and the synths lift.... Its pure energy. I love to dance, I am well aware that I dance like a street mime trying to explain he is having an epileptic fit but I can't live without passion! And so I had the idea of combining the narcotic potency of that song with my choreographic seizures to try and make a visual record of what H.B.F.S feels like
Yesterday evening I waited till about 6 till everybody was out of the studio and set up my camera and a blank partition wall of paper, donned my sonic crash helmet and attempted to illustrate H.B.F.S using black postpaid and 3 cans of neon spray paint. The Black was to lay out the frame work - The shape of the vocals, the bass and the treble (not that it resembled anything of a frame), and the colour was to show variations in the framework and also I think the neon is perfectly appropriate for electronica and the sheer kinetic joy of the whole exercise!




Anyhow, take one involved me and a velvet turban wrapped around my head under the helmet to try and keep it place, then the paper fell down and I had to scavenge the studio for spares!
Take two (the final take, because I only had that much spray paint!)  culminated in my nearly destroying the painting when I tore it off the wall!


They call them fingers... But I've never seen them fing...

 By the time I was finished 3 cans worth of fumes  were circulation around the unventilated studio, I won't get too into what I got up to but later when I checked my camera I found a series of pictures of my painty hand which apparently I found fascinating at the time!


<>
Ta-da


No comments:

Post a Comment